Monday, April 18, 2005

Legends of the Fall

Sunday morning when I woke up about 11:30, I took an inventory of my injuries.
  1. A gash on my right middle finger
  2. A scrape on the inside of my right forearm
  3. A bruise on the inside of my left forearm
  4. A small bruise on my left wrist
  5. A sore left middle finger
  6. Assorted bruises and aches on my legs
  7. A terrible scrape and painful bruise on my left ribs

While being in a car accident or a fight would have been glamourous, sadly it wasn't the truth. I fell. Down stairs. In a crowded gay bar. Surrounded by judging people.

As the Artist tells it, one second I was standing at the top of the stairs. The next I was a crumpled heap at the bottom. And it wasn't even as if I tried to fall gracefully. It was end over end, bouncing down the steps like a ball in a pinball machine. And isn't it funny when something like that happens? Your first thought isn't "ohmygod, did I break anything?" It's "ohmygod, did anyone see me?"

Unfortunately, people saw me.

Just for the record, that was the second time I had tripped/fallen down stairs in the last week. The other time was in a the middle of a crowded lecture hall, where I was delivering a presentation to pharmacy students. Although I didn't hit the floor, I did make a good stumble and fell out of my shoes.

And this is the third time I fell down stairs in the last four months. Those damn stairs at The Dynamic Duo's are steep and treacherous, especially when wet and icy.

I'm changing my name to "Grace."

9 comments:

Dustin said...

You quite literally went from having a conversation to confused and bleeding on the floor in one blink... I don't think you were all that ridiculed, though, judging by the large group that was dressing your wounds with napkins and pouring water down your throat... *smooches*

Kim said...

Lord a mercy! Glad you weren't hurt. But I think you just wanted your own falling down the stairs at a bar story to blog about.

PJ said...

you fell out of your own shoes???

Skipper said...

1. I have several "falling down stairs at a bar" stories.

2. Yes, I fell out of my shoes. My cute Kenneth Cole black loafers. Did you expect me to fall out of someone else's shoes?

Anonymous said...

dear lord, what a finale.

Char said...

Dammit, I knew we shouldn't have left. The last time I seen you... (trying to recall.. kinda a blur) ... you and I were whispering (as much as you can on a dance floor) to each other...
Then I was talking to Patrick??? outside in the parking lot... hhmm...
Sorry you fell boo boo.

Unknown said...

ditto what Gary said... Honey, please.. be careful!!

and instead of buying cute shoes, buy cute shoes that FIT!

Skipper said...

now come on, you would have been worried just long enough to determine that I was ok, and then you would have fallen on your ass laughing...

Anonymous said...

Pork and shellfish and glad to know you are okay. We would never laugh at you if we saw you take a fall like that. Well, maybe shellfish.

P&S are just asking because we care: have you had a CAT scan lately?