Sunday, April 24, 2005

Fun Diversion - Response #2

Ah, Ethan, sweet, young Ethan with the energy of an atom bomb. So here are the questions he posed to me in my fun diversion, and my honest responses.

1) What is your definition of love? Well, good grief. Could you start with a more difficult question? I've just about decided that there isn't a definition of love, at least not a universal definition. It's different for everyone. For me, romantic love is a calming and energizing chemistry, characterized by two people are happy in the other's presence, contentment, mutual respect, trust, acceptance and an undying fascination in the other person.

2) Why do people pierce their dicks? I don't know. On the right dick, it's rather attractive, and erotic. And I'm sure the sensation is incredible.

3) For or against gay marriage and why? I'm for, although I am rather torn on this civil union vs. marriage issue. It's an equality issue, and there's no reason that gays shouldn't be equal. And I just want someone to make an intelligent argument that doesn't bring in religion or morality. Both religion and morality are subject to individual points of view. Equality should universal. And even if homosexuality is a choice (which I don't believe it is), it's MY choice, and no one is getting harmed by it. So live and let live.

4) How are your ribs? A week later, I have a beautiful greenish-yellow bruise the size of your fist and a pretty little scrape. Thanks for asking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man in Memphis:

I certainly enjoy your blog and find myself login' on frequently to check out the new posts. I always find your posts and responses quite thought-full and well informed. Your latest response to the question on gay marriage is interesting and, as usual, well informed yet I would like to give you a point to think on. I am not sure you can have the discussion without religion...maybe without morality. You see the term "marriage" is in fact a religious term. With a bit of research I think you will find that legal aspects of marriage only came into being centuries after the institution of the union we now refer to as marriage and well, it is by it's very nature - religous. Not a particular "religion" per se, but deffinitely a union instituted by God between a man and a woman. Now I am wholly in favor of same sex unions and feel the equality issue is often confused. This issue shouldn't be about equality at all, but rather the legal rights and priviliges aknowledged between two people who feel the need to committ to one another in an emotional, physical and maybe even spiritual union. I just wish so many well-meaning folk would leave the issues of equality for homosexuals out of it and look at the possibility of a same sex union as providing the things they should be desirous of in a relationship rather than as a vehicle to prove to the hetrosexual world that they are equals. Don't know many opposite sex marriages entered into as a means of proving equality to the rest of the world.

Food for though? At any rate, keep the blog going!

Much appreciation! One homosexual man's impression.

Dustin said...

Good answers, boy...

Skipper said...

Anonymous,
I have to say I completely agree with your viewpoint. Which is why I said I was torn on the issue of civil unions vs. marriage. Most all "marriages" are indeed civil unions anyway. No matter how many heteros go to church to get "married," how many return to the church for divorce?

Anonymous said...

Man in Memphis:

As usual a point exceptionally well made. So then I guess it is even the "heteros", as you put it, who are confusing and addisn some issues to the whole "marriage" thing. It is, with out question, a complex issue, no answers here...just one man's attempt to make some sense and stay SANE in the process.