Tuesday, September 6, 2005

The Fairy Godmother

This past weekend, we lost a true treasure.

Miss Kitty passed away quietly at her home sometime Saturday night, and she will sincerely be missed. When she was late for Sunday lunch, one of her boys was dispatched to find her. And she was discovered having faded peacefully at her desk.

If there ever was a Southern genteel and elegant lady, it was Miss Kitty. Widowed with no children of her own, she adopted all of us as her own. She was tolerant. She was sweet. She was gracious.

One of the first times I met Miss Kitty, she was dressed coolly in summer linen, sipping Kitty martinis next to the pool while scantily dressed boys scampered about.

Every night, weather permitting, she climbed the spiral iron staircase to her observation deck with a shot of tequila to watch the sunset. She was a connoisseur of sunsets, and we could count on her to give us the latest report of the the latest and greatest sunsets over the Memphis skyline.

We loved being in the presence of Kitty. She elevated every get-together to something classy and fun. We loved her stories and her company. We loved her.

Two weeks ago, I had dinner with Kitty. She was spry and lively and seemed sincerely delighted to have me there. I wish I'd had more time with Kitty. She had so much to share - stories, laughter, compassion, smiles.

It's easy to imagine that she is watching over us all. And I'm glad that she is.

1 comment:

Char said...

Im so sorry for your loss babe!! I dont know Miss Kitty but I know I would have liked her..