Friday, July 15, 2005

Suds and Duds

I don't mind doing laundry as long as I have a washer and dryer at home, but since I moved to Memphis, I haven't had a set. Naturally, laundry is now a chore. Making sure I have quarters for the machines. Lugging clothes to the laundry room. Hoping there are enough machines available. Going back every 30 minutes to check on them, which means you never really get anything else accomplished. Folding. Hanging. Matching. Putting away. I hate the process.

But today, I treated myself to a small luxury. Laundry service.

It's been several weeks since I've had everything clean at one time. I've only been doing it on an as-needed basis. Out of underwear? Let's wash some. But the pile of dirty clothes growing in the closet bugs the hell out of me, because you find yourself recycling jeans, and planning your wardrobe days in advance because you know all the good tshirts are already dirty.

So by today, I had amassed quite a laundry load, and this morning before work, I gathered it all up and trucked it down the street to the laundromat that also does bundle service. A dollar per pound. Tshirts folded so neatly I almost wept. Socks already matched up. Shirts and jeans on hangers. All I needed to do was put the things away.

Sometimes you just need to make things easy on yourself.