Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Summertime and the Livin' Is Damn Hot


One of the greatest moments in Memphis' history... Posted by Hello

Yesterday was the first day of summer, and it arrived in Memphis with a vengeance. Already I'm tired of the moisture in my armpits. Today I made the mistake of not wearing a t-shirt under my polo shirt, and several times I had to wipe away the sweat drops that fell out of my sleeves and on to my desk calendar. That's just gross.

The temperature rose above the mid-90s today and there wasn't a drop of rain for miles. Tomorrow threatens more, if not worse. One of the things that scares me about Memphis is the heat. As long as I have a cool place to retreat, I'm good. And I only hope that my apartment can withstand the heat, and can maintain a comfortable 72 degrees.

But it's not just the heat. It's the humidity. By the time July and August rolls around, the air is downright choking. And try getting in the car after it's sat in the sun all day. You'd be happier if you burst into flames, and collapsed in a pile of ashes and charred bones.

From now until late August/early September, there will be no relief. But there are -- no pun intended -- bright spots. Cold cocktails that sweat on the patio table. Shirtless boys. And some breath-taking sunsets.

The sunset above is two weeks old and took place just before a thunderstorm (and the photo was shot from my kitchen window - damn I have a great apartment). Granted, we might not see much rain this summer, but even in the intolerable heat and humidity, the sunsets are a wonder of nature to behold.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

Consider the heat practice for your retirement condo...