Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Cocktails: The Way to Survive Summer


Cool refreshment Posted by Hello

Yes, you might be an alcoholic if you think that the way to survive the heat is to simply become numb to it through a carefully selected cocktail. And somedays, that works for me.

Something icy. Something cool. Something refreshing. That's how summer afternoons should be spent, so without further adieu, here is my list of the best summer cocktails.

1. Gin and tonic. Without a doubt, this is my favorite. The ice. The lime. The faint taste of pine needles. I was introduced to G&T's by Memphis friends and from that point forward, I categorize it as the perfect summer drink. Substitute vodka if necessary.

2. Tequila Punch. Ahhhh, this crazy bitch sneaks up on you. Tastes like easy margaritas, but after a few, you can't find your sombrero, and the burro is in some serious trouble. Email me for the recipe.

3. Margaritas. On the rocks. With salt. 'Nuff said.

4. Beer. Yeah, so this isn't a cocktail. But it fits in so well with a summer cookout. And why do we wait til the hottest days of the year to cook meat over an open flame? I don't get it.

5. Pinot Grigio. Well chilled. Again, 'nuff said.

6. Bullfrogs. Mojitos. Mint Juleps. I haven't quite developed a taste for these yet, but they're still refreshing. I was recently introduced to South American Bullfrogs which are made with limeade, fizzy lemon-lime soda like 7-Up or Sprite and Absolut Peppar vodka. Interesting.

If you have other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

2 comments:

Dustin said...

I'm diggin' all of your choices. I have DEFINATELY gotten comfortable with those Mojitos! A really nice twist is the Mango Mojito @ Bennigan's. We should learn to make them thangs...

Char said...

www.drinksmixer.com
www.drinkalizer.com

"491"

20 ml rum
20 ml dry gin
Ginger Ale

Build over lots of ice in a highball glass.



"Cosmopolitan Martini"
Scale ingredients to servings

1/2 oz Cointreau® orange liqueur
1 oz vodka
juice of 1/2 limes
1 splash cranberry juice

Pour all ingredients in mixing glass half filled with ice, shake and strain into chilled martini glass.

Serve in: Cocktail Glass


"Sex on the Beach"
Scale ingredients to servings

1 oz vodka
3/4 oz peach schnapps
cranberry juice
grapefruit juice

Add vodka and peach schnapps to a highball glass. Fill with equal measures of cranberry juice and grapefruit juice, and stir.

Serve in: Highball Glass


I got the words cock and ball(s) in this blog comment and wasn't even talking dirty...