Thursday, October 27, 2005

Red, Red Wine, or Que Shiraz Shiraz

To prepare for my going-away party from the nonprofit agency in Nashville, a co-worker asked Virginia, "What kind of wine does he like?"

In pure snarky fashion, she replied, "Whichever one he happens to be drinking at the time."

Hey, da bitch knows me.

In the summer, you can't beat a perfectly-chilled Vivacious Vicky. Yeah, she's cheap. She's white, but damn, that girl know how to work it. But, I live above a liquor store, and the WineBear works there. I get a lot of the "budget-minded" wines, as he reminded me a few days ago. If I go in and he's working, he knows how just to direct me to the perfect white wine. Like the Cousino-Macul Sauvignon Gris.

But fall has arrived in Memphis. The cool, crisp air. Leaves are starting to fall from the trees. And a man's palate turns to tastes of something richer. Something red. And WineBear has some excellent recommendations.

Combine that with the fancy-schmancy corkscrew that was given to me by the Dynamic Dou for my birthday, I popped the cork on my first bottle of red wine for the season.

Ferngrove Shiraz 2003. Very tasty. And shiraz has always been my favorite red wine.

Desolation Flats Rustler's Red. Also very tasty. And perfect if you don't really know what you want since it's a "kitchen sink" of every red wine.

Cheers to Autumn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you are right up there with some of the most famous people in time;

RED wine was King Tut's favorite tipple, according to evidence from the ancient Egyptian boy king's tomb.

Scientists used a new technique to examine residue from a wine jar, or amphora, buried with Tutankhamun more than 3,000 years ago. The result showed that the jar contained red, not white, wine.


Although the three-metre tall amphorae found in Egyptian tombs bear elaborate labels showing the origin and quality of their contents, no mention is made of color.

Researchers from the University of Barcelona carried out tests for a "breakdown" chemical called syringic acid that is only produced by red wine.

So I guess you could say he died in the Fall, in crisp , damp air .

Unknown said...

ah yes, I remember it well.

Anonymous said...

Three phrases should be among the most common in our daily usage. They are: Thank you, I am grateful and I appreciate.