Monday, January 10, 2005

3000 Steps to Graceland


Elvis Lives. Posted by Hello

Graceland isn't really that impressive, just in case you were wondering. Not that I've been inside (yet), but the view from the sidewalk doesn't really reveal much more than "so what?"

Yesterday, in my ongoing attempts to feel like a true Memphian, I drove by Graceland, stopped, looked, and read some of the black magic marker scribblings on the wall (which should be the highlight of any stop at the King's mansion). And it just happened to coincide with Elvis's 70th birthday weekend, which brought Elvis impersonators from around the world...like this French guy...

Hunka-hunka burnin' l'amour... Le Roi lives...

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, you should go in. It is totally worth it. You know, I was born in Memphis. And I remember my momma hauling me to a candlelight vigil at Elvis's grave on the first anniversary of his death. But I didn't tour Graceland until I was about 15. Unparralled tackiness.

Gary ratted you out to me. I would love to link you to my blog, let me know if that is ok.