Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Boys of Summer

So it seems that summer Sunday afternoons will find Andrew Joseph and I as softball wives.

Yes, the men we love -- Rob-Day, LarryD and Hotass/Miss Yellowpants too -- have signed up to play gay softball. And since Andrew Joseph and I would rather die than play team sports (okay so I'd rather die; he'd rather wear synthetic fibers), we have designated ourselves as the unofficial cheerleaders. And that means we intend to sit in lawn chairs with a wine & cheese basket, fanning ourselves and swatting mosquitoes the size of tanker trucks.

So far, we have accompanied the boys of summer to the batting cage. After they batted (I even got in a swing or two and, to my surprise, I don't always swing like a girl), they went off to play miniature golf; AJ & I entertained ourselves with a round of LaserTag. See, LaserTag is not a team sport, and we had the best time.

This past Sunday, we had every intention of watching the team (the name? the Pumping Station Heat) practice, but apparently there was no heat in Memphis. It was just fucking cold in Memphis on Sunday, so we gave up on the boys and went shopping.

Their first game is Sunday (it's a double-header, and I can't even say that without smirking), and I really hope I can be there for it. My duties as co-editor of the Memphis fag rag have me committed to layout, but perhaps I can get out of there early enough in the afternoon so that I can watch my beloved play. The weather is supposed to be beautiful on Sunday (of course!), so I may shirk my responsibilities and be the good boyfriend. And I know that he'll be wearing an orange jockstrap which makes the game better. At least from my perspective.

And before you start thinking that these boys have been recruited for some kind of Bad News Bears kind of team, you have to know that this is the same team that won the NATIONAL title last year for their division. Nothing to sneeze at.

This year Andrew Joseph and I might see our boys playing in the championships in Seattle. And even if they don't, I'm sure the wine and cheese will be delicious.

5 comments:

Dustin said...

How fantabulous. If I'm ever in town on the weekend I'd love to tag along. I'll bring a magnum of pinot, naturally.

Anonymous said...

So, for those of us "less in the know" - do tell where the PS Heat play these fabulous games of summer?

TNCubist

Hearthhusband said...

Darling, it will be fabulous. I found some really nice, dare I say, boxed wine yesterday. You know, a few hours Saturday and Sunday should suffice your editorial responsibilities, you have to live, dear. I'm so excited I could just piddle...oops, I just made a mess! LOL....Love, love.

Char said...

i'll bring some brownies (im currently getting the recipe "just right") and tequila. hey it keeps the mosquitoes away!

Anonymous said...

I want a brownie!

Oh, also looking forward to reading the Triagle Journal.