Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Two Queers and a Hammer

So now we've done it. Hotass and I have become homeowners.

Two months ago, I was content to live in my apartment, gladly paying rent for the convenience and peace of mind knowing that if something broke, it wasn't my problem. When it came to my home, I was a little commitment-phobic. Yes, I was aware of all the pro's of owning a home. The tax breaks. The investment. The security. The freedom. But the possibility of being dragged into a money pit and giving up my weekends for yardwork scared the daylights out of me, so I considered myself a terminal renter.

But then Tman decided to sell his house and move, and Hotass needed a roof over his head. And there was that nagging thought that I should probably grow up and get over my fears. And so when he proposed that we go in together and put down some roots, I agreed.

We found the perfect starter house, even if it was the first and only one we looked at. Affordable, but yet a place we can get a decent return on our investment in a couple of years. In a semi-quiet older neighborhood. Still inside the 240 Loop and close enough to Midtown that I don't get panicky. And yeah, there are upgrades and remodeling that needs to be done, but we have delusions that we can do the work ourselves.

The real estate agent handed us the keys to our new home yesterday afternoon, and by the time I got there after work, Hotass had already trimmed a single bush by the driveway and ripped out the bathroom medicine cabinet, leaving a gaping nasty hole in the bathroom wall. He said he needed some immediate gratification.

Last night we made our first trip to Lowe's as naive and eager do-it-yourselfers. Two and a half hours later, we left with a new pedestal sink, a vanity light, a faucet kit, wallpaper stripper, a bathroom vent fan, paint chips, and a lawnmower.

After I scored the seashell wallpaper in the bathroom, we stood around looking at what we could do next. We spied the tiled-in soap dish, toothbrush holder and towel rack. We might have watched too much HGTV.

"How do you feel about those?"

"I hate 'em."

Pieces of ceramic tile shattered and we started chiseling away at the remainder with a hammer and screwdriver, careful to not chip the surrounding tile and debating what we were going to put in the empty spaces and what color the wall would end up.

Tomorrow is my only day off before I start my new job on Thursday, and we'll spend the day, ripping out the vanity and installing the new sink and vanity light. This weekend, we're organizing a paint party for the rest of the house.

This home-ownership thing is going to be a blast. Stay tuned for photos and our progress.

11 comments:

Dustin said...

I'm in for the paint party on Saturday. I'm going to pick Sheridan up on the way. If Timmy doesn't have to go to Arkansas (for grandma's 81st), he'll be joining us as well. Luvs ya!

Stick said...

New house! Yeah - congrats to you both!

Char said...

Oh i can't wait to see it! Congrats to you both! Smoochies!
Paint party? Sure! I'll bring booze. =) (Cause Lawd knows I can't paint)

Brad said...

I hope your enthusiasim doesn't wane. The only remodeling I want to do to my house these days is light a match and drop it on the floor as I quietly shut the door behind me.

Congratulations, nevertheless!

Spider said...

CONGRATS to you guys... you always remember your first!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Hottass and I talked about your new purchase over the weekend. Hope all goes well with your remodel, if u guys ever need help let me know.

john said...

Congrats on your new home.

Anonymous said...

i'm working on a blessing for your new home. congrats from the dynamic duo. see you soon. xoxo

DEREK said...

can't wait to see the pictures, congrats on the new home you two!

Dustin said...

What time's the paint party, bitches?

Will said...

Welcome "home!" Sounds like a nice move. The night before I passed papers on my house (the first one I'd ever owned) I couldn't sleep for worry, but it's been a great source of happiness.

Yeah--Etta's "At Last." I listed that as the best slow dance song when I answered the same group of questions. A real and true classic.