Wednesday, February 22, 2006

How the Other Half Lives

Last night, I went to a Memphis Grizzlies game. During halftime (do they call it halftime in basketball?), it was my turn to buy beer. So I scouted out an ATM to get cash and then return with two Miller Lites.

No one was at the ATM but the person before me left their receipt. I was almost content to just take my $20, and leave it there, untouched. But at the last minute, curiosity got the better of me, even if for no other reason than to do a good deed and toss their receipt in the garbage.

The person before me had withdrawn $20 from their checking account as well, but unlike me, they left a balance of $117,075.41.

$117,075

What kind of person has more than $117,000 in their checking account at any given time? How does one amass that kind of money in their checking account? Why isn't it in a saving account or a CD or investments? And why would you leave a receipt in the machine?

And why only take out 20 bucks?

4 comments:

Dustin said...

Its called crack cocaine, my brother. Welcome to Memphis.

Chad said...

Dang, you should have taken a picture of it to show us what it looks like! :)

Anonymous said...

You need a little extra in your checking account, to prevent accidentally bouncing a check, for example. And the $20? I was just trying to be frugal. Thanks for saving my ATM receipt for me!

Char said...

Thom you do realize that the government regulations only cover the first $100,000.00 in that account right?
*giggling*
If you need somewhere to store the rest of it I'd be more than happy to oblige. *lol*