Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Better Late Than Never

After a year and a half, I have officially shed the last physical evidence of ever being a Nashvillian.

Today, I got new license plates, emblazoned with the "SHELBY" county name.

Yes, I've been driving around on expired plates since October, hoping to prolong the forgiveness that Memphians give to out of town drivers. But I knew in my heart, that forgiveness was only a farce. My idiocy behind the wheel was only giving Memphians further reason to hate Nashvillians. And I'm okay with that.

But, before I could get new plates, there was the cracked windshield to be replaced, and the headlight to be fixed. Never mind that I had those rectified months ago. I was thriving off the fact that I had gone almost five months without getting a ticket.

Good sense finally got the better of me, and I decided that I shouldn't wait any longer. Actually the thought was that I should stop being so white trash with my expired plates.

So this afternoon, I took off the Davidson County plate and replaced it with the brand-new plate design that proclaimed that I am a Shelby County resident.

On the down side, if it were a vanity plate, it would say that I ate 71 fleas.

No comments: