Thursday, May 4, 2006

Living on the Fault Line

"The probability of magnitude 6.0 or greater in the near future is considered significant; a 90% chance of such an earthquake by the year 2040 has been given."

Within the next 34 years, assuming I still live in Memphis, I have a 90 percent chance of being caught in a devastating earthquake. Surprisingly, my chances of being shot on Sam Cooper Boulevard or in Orange Mound are considerably less.

The Big One could happen tomorrow. And it's not like a tornado-spawning thunderstorm or a hurricane; you can't tune in to The Weather Channel and find out it's headed right for you. All you can do is duck and cover when the floor starts to wobble.

It's not like we live in fear, but everyone knows we're living on shaky ground.

Almost everyone I know seems to be experiencing their own personal little earthquakes. It seems like the tremors have already started. Just strange little signs and major life changes.

Tuesday morning, after the receptionist at work greeted me with a good morning, she asked if I felt like there was some weird vibe in the air.

"Everyone seems so on edge, and I don't like it."

I agreed with her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silly man. Just be aware of your surroundings before you brace yourself. Animals are the most sensitive to these things, especially cats. I think I just jinxed myself....uh oh.

Brad said...

I would be lying if I didn't say that this fact worries me...

But, this is my hometown and I do like it here.

Char said...

Hopefully I'll be long gone before then... long gone you ask? Take it for what you will...